I Hiked Angel’s Landing and Didn’t Die

 Angel’s Landing Overview  

Over a century ago, this massive sandstone cliff in Utah was discovered and Frederick Fisher remarked it was “so high only an angel could land on it.” The name stuck and now there is a trail by that name up the massive rock formation. It is inside the Zion National Park and provides stunning views of the Zion Canyon.  

The trail is just a short 2.5 miles to the summit. Sounds easy enough, right? Not so fast! Within that short 2.5 miles, you will gain about 1500 feet in elevation!  

Wait, there’s more! Not only is the trail very steep, but for about the last .25-.5 miles, the hiker must climb the spine of the rock assisted by chains. At it’s narrowest, the trail is a few feet wide with sheer drop offs on either side anywhere from 800 to 1000 feet. That would be a nasty stumble. Since 2000, 13 people have died on this trail.  

Most people opt to stop at Scout’s Lookout, a landing right before the chain assisted section, that also provides spectacular views. Hikers that are unsure of themselves or not feeling fully confident would do well to follow suit.  

My Experience  

I visited Zion National Park a few years ago and while I was tempted to hike Angel’s Landing, my ankle wasn’t in top condition and I had not done enough research to feel comfortable with it. 

This visit to Zion, I had one purpose and one purpose only: to hike Angel’s Landing. I decided not to put pressure on myself and planned to stop at Scout’s Lookout if I felt I needed to. There is no shame in knowing your limits!  

My mom and I woke up early and drove to the park from Hurricane, Utah. We had tickets for the 6 am shuttle in Zion. We grabbed the first shuttle we saw and took it to the Grotto Stop. The trail starts at the Grotto Trailhead and begins with a paved uphill portion. The incline is pretty steep but I really didn’t notice this until I had to come back down.  

We took it nice and easy stopping to admire the views along the way and snap a few photos. Eventually we came to what’s known as Refrigerator Canyon. Since we started so early, we didn’t really need the cool off just yet!  

Next up was the infamous “Walter’s Wiggles” - a series of 21 short switchbacks! I honestly felt these were easier than the earlier ascent but they sure are daunting!  

Finally, we arrived at Scout’s Lookout and took advantage of the bathroom there! We had a quick fruit strip, snapped some pictures and were ready to tackle the chains! Or so we thought!  

The first section of chains was challenging but not too scary. As I turned the corner, I thought I would be almost done. Boy, was I wrong! We reached a landing with one small tree that provides a nice view of the steep and narrow spine. This is what you see in those chilling YouTube videos. We contemplated for a long time. We considered people we’ve known that have done the hike. We considered how easily we could turn around later. We listened to people on their return, people on their way up, and fellow cold feet hikers that were second guessing their choices. Eventually, one young hiker’s nonchalant “it’s not that bad” gave me the gall to say “Let’s do it.”  

With butterflies in my stomach and my eyes laser focused on the rock in front of me, we set out for the summit. Chained section after chained section wondering when it would end, taking plenty of time to rest and navigate the other hikers coming and going, we finally reached the summit.  

It’s like one collective “ahhh” as you reach the top. The views are nothing short of spectacular and the feeling of accomplishment is unparalleled. We ate a snack and enjoyed the rest.  

Time to go back down! Personally, I felt the way down was a bit trickier! With gravity pulling me forward and more and more hikers on the trail, I had to navigate some terrain in less than graceful ways. Thankfully, most of the fellow hikers are very kind and courteous. It did seem to go by a lot faster than the way up and once we reached the end of the chained section, it was smooth sailing, though I still hike pretty slowly downhill to avoid extra strain on my knees.  

At this point, the cool refrigerator canyon was a welcome relief from the sun. We quietly chuckled at some of the naïve hikers on their ascent. It wasn’t until this point that I realized how steep the initial ascent had been! The sun was out in full force and I was glad we were going down and not up at this time. We finished the hike around 11 am and felt like we had lived a whole day in those few hours. It was an unforgettable experience and I’m so glad we did it!  

 

Tips: 

Make sure to get your shuttle tickets in advance. Tickets are released on specific days and they do sell out! 

Carry plenty of water and snacks in a pack so you have your hands free to assist in your climb.  

Do not attempt if you are unsure of yourself or have a fear of heights.  

Do not rush!  

Be courteous to fellow hikers.  

Arrive as early as possible for the fewest crowds.  

Sources: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List