Rocky Face Mountain Recreation Area NC July 2019

Have you ever stumbled on something on Instagram and discovered it's right near you?

That's how I discovered Rocky Face Mountain Recreation Area (wow, that name is a mouthful). It's only about one hour from my house yet I had never seen it, been there, or even heard of it until I saw someone post it on Instagram! 

Often times, my mom and I opt for close parks to do a quick hike on the weekend because it's just easier to stay within two hours driving distance for a regular basis. So, I was excited to find a new place nearby to explore! 

We went on a Sunday afternoon and I had already gone for a run that morning so I wasn't in the mood for any intense hiking. The park only has six miles of trails as of now but they have plans to add more trails. We made a loop out of the Grindstone Trail and the Prison Camp Trail totaling close to 2 miles. The trails were rated moderate. The Prison Camp trail goes past the former site of inmate housing but I never noticed it! 

The trail was pretty easy and well marked. There was some stoneface that could be slippery when wet. There was no spectacular views and I probably wouldn't go out of my way to do this hike again. 

The park seems new and well maintained. There were clean restrooms at the parking area and a cute playground for kids. 

They also have a Vertical Mile Trail - completing 8 loops of this trail (16 miles) equals one vertical mile! Talk about a hike! I can't say I'll be trying that challenge any time soon!



It was nice to try some place new, especially being so close to home!

Check out the Rocky Face Mountain Recreation Area here: https://rockyfacepark.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List