"The Bagel that Won the West!"

Have you heard of Western Bagel?

I first came across the brand of bagels on Instagram and I was immediately intrigued because people seemed to love them, yet they are "macro friendly". Could they really be good with those macros?

Then, I peered into their website and I was even more interested. I loved reading about the history and origin of their company. Here's a short synopsis: Louis Ustin settled in the Bronx, escaping the Russian Revolution. He began work in a bagel shop and his son followed in his footsteps. Hearing a complaint that there are no good bagels in California, he set out to change that. He noticed the tastes of Californians were different so he created a chewier, less dense bagel and opened his first bakery in Los Angeles. His son continued the family business. In 2002, they created a lower carbohydrate bagel to meet the health concerns of consumers, thus the birth of "The Alternative Bagel™". The company now has 11 retail locations along with national and international distribution! Woah!

So obviously, I was dying to try them! I was sent a great package to try of a variety of the bagels. The first one I tried was The Perfect 10 - Healthy Grain.

This bagel is packed with flax seeds, wheat bran, sesame seeds, oat flakes and millet seeds. But wait, 19 grams of protein. That's right. 19. And 19 grams of carbs with 10 grams of fiber. So how does it taste?

I really enjoyed this bagel! It's definitely nice and chewy. I found it to be satisfying without sitting like a rock in my stomach. It rivals Thomas' bagels and with this nutrition, I say it comes out victorious. I've been topping them with cream cheese and Trader Joe's "Everything But the Bagel" seasoning. Delish!
Macros: 150 calories 2f/19c/19p
Perfect 10 from me!
The next one I tried was the Onion Alternative Baglette. These are teeny, tiny bagels. They are 1) very cute 2) make a great little side to your breakfast or just a small snack and 3) delicious!
Macros: 60 calories 0f/14c/4p with 5g fiber and zero/zilch/nada sugar.

I hope to try many more of their varieties and products (pitas, english muffins!) and update on here.  I can see why they are so loved and why their family business continues to thrive. I highly recommend trying them out!

Let me know: How do you top your bagels? Have you tried Western Bagel or do you plan on it?

Check out Western Bagel!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List