Granny Garbanzo Butter





Who remembers the Big Comfy Couch?

Anyone, anyone? 

It was a classic when I was a little girl. I would make a mess of the living room just so I could do a ten second clean up! If you know, you know, you know?

I digress. 

There was a character named Granny Garbanzo. She was quite a hoot. Little did I know, however, that Garbanzo was also the name of a bean AKA chickpeas. Little did I know that said beans could actually be quite tasty! 

Now that I am older and have knowledge of the tastiness of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), I had a revelation: why not make it into a "butter". Every nut and seed you can think of is being made into butters so why stop there? 

I took to my blender and got to butterin! Whether you have a nut allergy or just love to eat delicious things, you'll love this spread!
GGB&J

What you need:
  • powerful blender
  • 5 oz roasted chickpeas (aka 1 bag of Biena snacks)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (or oil of choice)
  • optional: flavoring, sweetener, salt, etc. 
Process:
  1. Add 5oz roasted and cooled chickpeas (I used a bag of sea salt Biena chickpeas) to a high powered blender. 
  2. Pulse for 1-2 minutes. 
  3. Blend until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add oil one tsp at at time while blending until spread reaches desired consistency. (Quick tip: 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon)
  4. Once it is smooth, feel free to add in flavorings or sweeteners as desired. I used some vanilla extract and it is heavenly! Blend until combined. 
  5. Remove from blender and spread on everything. 
Notes:
* You can purchase chickpeas already roasted such as Biena Snacks. These come in flavors so you could easily create a flavored butter or purchase the sea salt variety for a blank canvas. 
*If you prefer to roast your own chickpeas, drain and rinse 2 cups chickpeas, mist with oil, add seasoning if desired, place in a cold oven. Cook at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool in the oven for one hour and then remove and cool completely before using them to make granny garbanzo butter. Method from theleangreenbean.com. For a faster option, try roasting them in an air fryer! I use this air fryer:


I weighed one tablespoon of spread to be 15g which is approximately 80 calories 9c/4f/3p


 This butter is great for anyone with a peanut, tree nut, or seed allergy or anyone who likes delicious spreads! What butter do you think will come out next? Do you call chickpeas: chickpeas or garbanzo beans? Let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List