Mental Health: Endurance

from Pinterest.com

Endurance. What does it really mean?

In the past, when I was in the hospital, my friends and family would tell me I was so strong. I was enduring so much. However, I didn't feel strong or brave. I felt helpless and simply without choices. What could I do?

“Endurance: It is the spirit which can bear things, not simply with resignation, but with blazing hope. It is the quality which keeps a man on his feet with his face to the wind. It is the virtue which can transmute the hardest trial into glory because beyond the pain it sees the goal.”


― AnonymousCome Be My Follower

I needed, and often still need to, adjust my perspective. 

Yes, right now, things may seem horrible. Things may be horrible. But it is not the end. There is always a hope. I personally find hope in the Bible but no matter who you are or what you believe, every cloud has a silver lining. Change your perspective. 

I often think of a small child who drops their ice cream. They might cry or scream and seems to be the end of the world. In their eyes, it truly is horrible! If they could see that there will be more ice cream in their life, that a dropped ice cream cone is not that bad, that some children don't even know what it's like to have such a luxury, then they would be able to endure it. This is not to invalidate their feelings. Their disappointment and upset is very real and genuine. 

It's the same no matter our age. Whatever we're going through is, in our eyes, horrible and not without merit. However, when we reflect on our hope, on the grand future, we can bear up under hardships with JOY. Can you imagine it?


“Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.”


― Anne Frank

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List