My Tools For Muscle/Running Recovery

Proper recovery is essential to having a good workout next time. We all love having a good workout! Many people try to hack recovery so they can push themselves to the limit. I don't necessarily encourage that as it can lead to injuries if you push too far. However, I do utilize recovery tools and techniques so I can optimize my recovery!

Here's some things I use:

  • turmeric (curcumin) combined with black pepper to make it more bioavailable, it is natural anti-inflammatory agent. I simply use it as seasoning. If you need more, there are turmeric supplements available. 
  • compression socks - I wear Zensah socks while I run but I also wear them when I'm not running. The compression is shown to reduce swelling, improve circulation and reduce muscle soreness. 
  • cold exposure - not always the most pleasant experience but cold exposure is shown to reduce inflammation, decrease muscle damage and soreness, and speed recovery. I've never gone as far as an ice bath or cryotherapy (more intense forms of cold exposure) but I will take a cold shower from time to time
When something doesn't feel right, or like it could develop into an injury, I also utilize:
  • KT tape - When applied properly (YouTube it), this kinesiology tape can be very beneficial for things like shin splints and other potential minor injuries 
  • RICE method - Rest Ice Compress and Elevate is an age old method to help the healing process 
What tools do you use? I foam roll once in a blue moon - I should probably do it more! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List