Fronen - Dairy Free and Paleo Ice Cream Review

Dairy Free. Paleo. Ice Cream. Conflicting phrases? Not anymore! 

You've probably heard of Banana Nice Cream, right? (Thank you pinterest circa 2012) The idea is frozen bananas blended with cocoa powder or peanut butter and voila - a guilt free treat.

Fronen takes that idea to the next level. Instead of your average blended banana excuse for ice cream, Fronen uses just a few ingredients to create a unique and allergy friendly ice cream experience. 

The story: Jessy was diagnosed with Celiac and dairy sensitivity at age 13. The limited dairy free options were either loaded with sugar or sugar alcohols that didn't sit well with her. Jessy and Erik developed Fronen as a solution! I'm a firm believer that NO ONE should go without ice cream so I love that they were able to create this unique product for people in similar situations. 

That being said, I don't have celiac or a dairy intolerance so I have real ice cream standards. Could they stand up to my standards??

I ordered each flavor from their site and 2 of two flavors so I could get cheaper shipping! 

I first tried the Banana Coconut Flavor - this flavor is comprised of Bananas, Coconut Cream, Honey and water (does water count as an ingredient?) It definitely had a strong banana flavor which I didn't mind at all. It had a good sweetness and just a touch of coconut flavor. I popped it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it and allowing it to soften makes all the difference. The longer it was sitting out, the creamier it was! It wasn't icy at all. The texture is slightly different from real dairy ice cream, but not bad. 

Next up, Cinnamon. Ya girl likes cinnamon. This pint is made of Banana, Coconut Cream, Water, Maple Syrup and Cinnamon. Could it be any more simple? Wowza - did this have a robust cinnamon flavor! Not for the faint of heart, this pint had a similar texture, strong cinnamon flavor and a still present banana flavor. This is the only flavor that is sweetened with maple syrup as opposed to honey, therefore, it is the only strictly vegan pint. I enjoyed this one too!

Next up, chocolate! I love chocolate and I love ice cream, however, chocolate ice cream is not always my favorite. In this case, though, the chocolate was fantastic! I loved the rich chocolate flavor and the banana flavor was a bit more subdued. It had a creamy texture (after being nuked) and this is definitely my favorite of their flavors! The simple ingredients for the chocolate pint are: Banana, Water, Coconut Cream, Honey and Cocoa. So simple!

Finally, the last flavor to try was strawberry. This pint was comprised of Strawberry, Coconut Cream, Banana and Honey. It had a very strong strawberry flavor and much less banana flavor (I didn't notice any banana flavor to be honest), however, I do feel this one was slightly less creamy.




My ranking: 1. Chocolate 2. Banana Coconut 3. Cinnamon 4. Strawberry

Each of the flavors contain only 4-5 ingredients and 80-90 calories per serving. Overall, I think this is a fantastic option for those that cannot have dairy or sugar alcohols (these upset a lot of people's stomachs!) and even if you don't have those limitations, it is still a nice, light treat! I hope to see these on store shelves near me soon! 

Check them out here: https://eatfronen.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List