Leg Exercises and Workout Schedule

It's been a while since I addressed my workouts but I am still hitting the gym consistently! I've seen strength increases so I'm happy about that! I've been doing strength workouts 4 times a week and cardio 3 times a week purely because I enjoy it!

I no longer do a body part split because I've learned that frequency of exercises utilizing a full body workout is superior to a body part split. It triggers the muscle fibers more often, thereby leading to gains!

Think about it, if you do a killer leg workout and then you can't train them for several days, or even a week, you're no longer adapting, simply recovering, which does not equal strength gains. Adaptation is what we're after. If you instead do a leg workout that's not too lengthy or intense, and do that 3-4 times a week, you'll see more muscle adaptation! I squat 3-4 times a week!

Here's a few leg exercises I've been putting together during my full body workouts:

Hip Thrusts 4x10
Barbell Squats 2x10, 4x5, 1x10
Barbell Lunges 4x10 each leg

I begin with Hip thrusts to activate the glutes when I'm trying to focus on glutes. You could alternatively do a leg extension if you want to focus on quads or a hamstring curl if you want to focus more on hamstrings.

Without going to failure (I don't want to fatigue my muscles), I then move on the foundational exercise: barbell squats. Barbell squats are such a good exercise because they are a compound movement that requires a lot of different muscles. I do the first set of ten with just the bar, the second set is a reasonable weight for me and the 4 sets of 5 are pretty much  my max weight. The last set of ten I return to a lighter weight and I may incorporate pause squats or pulse squats just for a nice burn lol. Then I finish up with some barbell lunges to really focus on each glute.

This is just something that's been working for me! What does your workout routine look like?

Gains?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List