Stress Fracture Rehab - A Stressful Process

Slow and steady wins the race, right?

I recently had a stress fracture in my right tibia bone (right ankle up the outside of calf). The fix: wearing an orthopedic boot for 4 weeks, no running, no impact. Sounds simple, and relatively fast. However, just because I'm free of the boot doesn't mean I'm ready to hit the pavement.

The doctor told me to take it easy, perhaps reduce the support in my running shoes (this shocked me) as the support was putting more pressure on the outside of my leg/ankle. Regarding resuming my activity, he recommended things like the rowing machine, elliptical and stair climbers to keep up my cardio vascular endurance while transitioning to a treadmill and eventually back to the road.

My mom's research revealed that returning to running might involve taking shorter, easier runs to start.

I was eager to hit the road so I laced up, put on my new compression socks, fully confident that I would feel like my old self.

Not so much. I felt awkward and uncomfortable and like I was really exerting myself. I ran 2 miles on a fairly flat surface with a 7:33 pace. Not too shabby, but it felt all wrong. Afterward, my ankle was really aching. I was so disheartened.
"I will never run again." 
Those are the words I spoke to my mother. How silly! This is such a small bump in the road and it was bringing me down so much!

Hitting the Dreadmill in my Brooks Ravenna

I WILL run again, but I need to take it easy. So, I returned to the trusty stationary bike for my next cardio. After that, I felt like trying the treadmill. For my next cardio, I did 5k on the treadmill and guess what? No pain.

My following two cardio workouts were 4 miles on the treadmill and I had some minute achiness but I feel like I'm progressing. Healing is a process that can't be sped up like the belt on a treadmill.

So while I still lovingly refer to it as a dreadmill, it's proved to be another step in my road to healing my stress fracture. That's where I currently am.

I am running. I am healing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List