MedAssist 5k (Pancakes and Beer) 2018

I haven't done a 5k in a hot second.

Okay, since the summer.

The MedAssist 5k in Charlotte, NC rolled around again and I decided to run it! My mom ran it too!

I was nervous as I always am. I don't know why! I run 3-4 miles on a regular basis but, nevertheless, I was anxious!

I had a bagel and hot cocoa to start the morning, then headed to the race venue about 45 minutes from my house. We registered, used the bathroom, and had energy drinks!

It was pretty chilly and spit some raindrops but thankfully, the rain did not persist.

The race started just a few minutes behind schedule. There were about 600+ participants. We lined up and were off! The race is on streets that had one lane blocked off for us. I had enough space but if you were caught in a pack, it would probably be tight.

There were no extreme hills - probably the biggest incline was at the very end with the finish line in sight.

My first 1/4 mile, I had a pace of 6:44! I knew that wasn't sustainable but I figured I would ride out the downhills on cruise control! My pace, shockingly stayed under 7:00 the entire time! I was thrilled! I knew I must be doing pretty well because there were no females in sight.

Me end pace according to the race timing company was 6:55 which is my fastest pace to date. I placed first in my age group and second overall female. I was so excited!

The prize was a beer glass but the feeling of setting a personal best far exceeds any prize!

I can't wait to run another 5k!

Have you ever run a 5k? Have you ever surprised yourself with what you can do?









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List