Sugar Free Pralines - Keto Friendly

If any place in the South is famous for food - it's New'olahns aka New Orleans, LA which is where the rich and nutty praline candy hails from.


Praline candies have a smooth, creamy consistency and are typically made with butter, brown sugar, cream and pecans. As a child, I would always get the warm, free sample from River Street Sweets when we visited the beach. I would even shell out my own money for a praline or two. I just loved them!

Fast forward a few years and I haven't had pralines in a long time! Why not try my hand at making them?! Well, I'm at it, how about a ZERO sugar version? I wasn't sure how it would turn out but I gave it a shot. And I'm happy I did. You will be too when you try these decadent confections. If you've never had the delight of a praline candy, you're in for a treat. Literally.

Sugar Free Praline Candies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup brown sugar substitute (I've successfully used both Sukrin and Swerve brands)
  • 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tbsp Vitafiber Syrup 
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp chopped pecans

Directions:

  1. Have wax/parchement paper or other nonstick surface prepared for cooling the candies. 
  2. Combine the first three ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. 
  3. Cook to the soft ball stage* of candy making (about degrees Fahrenheit). 
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the pecans. 
  5. Continue to stir the mixture until it becomes opaque. 
  6. Quickly drop spoonfuls onto your prepared surface. Allow to cool and enjoy!
*To test for soft ball stage, you can get a cup of cold water. Drop a small amount of the syrup mixture in the cold water. If it forms a soft ball, you're good. If it forms a thread, it's not hot enough. If it forms a hard ball, you've cooked too long!

Tips: *Have ingredients and cooling surface ready to go. You will need to move quickly when dropping the candies. 
*Use a wooden spoon. 
*Do not touch the syrup mixture - it will burn. 

Makes about 11 praline candies. 66 calories each, less than 1 gram net carb. 

Have you ever had praline candies? What's your favorite confection?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List