What's a Macro?

Do you track your macros?

What's a macro?

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I do loosely track my macros, or macronutrients. Macronutrients include Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fats. The IIFYM approach to eating basically means that you should eat micronutrient* dense foods for the most part, but you can enjoy other foods If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM). 

There is a common misconception that IIFYM promotes eating a lot of junk as long as it fits your macros, but from what I've read, that is not true. There is a balance needed as with everything. For example, I eat salad for lunch most days, vegetables at dinner, and snack on a lot of fruit, however, I usually have something "unclean" for dessert. Some days it might be two oreos, or some candy. Some days I have more "unclean" foods than others, but I am trying to gain weight right now, so it's easy for me to get plenty of micronutrients and still enjoy these treats. 

Many people who restrict themselves completely may end up binging or feeling guilty when they do indulge. I've found the IIFYM style of eating to be beneficial to me personally. That being said, I think Intuitive Eating is a great goal for me. It focuses on eating based on what you feel you need, listening to your body. That doesn't mean giving in to every craving for sugar but satisfying your body based on it's needs. The benefit of that is that you don't have to calculate, measure, and possibly obsess as much as IIFYM. 

Whatever style of eating you choose, it's important to be moderate and balanced, in my opinion. If you want to find out what your personal macronutrient requirements are, IIFYM.com has a calculator that you can use. 

Don't let eating become a chore! Treat your body right and get the necessary nutrients!

Do you follow a specific type of eating? Keto? IIFYM? Intuitive? Have you tried different types? Let me know what you think!

*Micronutrient here refers to vitamins and minerals, etc. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List