So you want to start running?

Do you ever see someone running down the road and think: "Wow, that looks so fun, but I don't know where to start"?

Maybe you just think you're not a runner. That's totally fine - we all enjoy different things, however, I believe that anyone can become a runner if that's what they truly want! Here are some tips that can help you to get started!
  • Find a running buddy! This is not just for motivation, because if you truly want to start running, you have some intrinsic motivation (though it can be challenged on chilly/rainy days lol), but when you start running, you're going to talk about running. Trust me, your non-running friends won't really care to hear about your pace or distance or those hills you conquered. You could join a running group or club, find a friend who wants to start running as well or maybe you already have a friend that runs!
  • Start slow! When I started running, I could not run a mile without stopping and that's true for many people. Don't get discouraged! You can look up programs like couch to 5k or any run/walk programs online. You can also just try to listen to your body. For example, when I started, I would run for a while and then when it felt too hard, I would walk for a bit, then when I felt ready I would run again. I ran the same route on a regular basis so I was able to gauge my progress. 
  • Use an app! I use the Nike Run Club app and I love it. You can set it to tell you your pace at different intervals (mine is set to 1/4 mile) and you can even connect with friends, view your previous runs and more!
    Nike Run Club App
  • Find something to listen to. I used to listen to music which is great and a lot of people enjoy that, but in the past year I started listening to podcasts and I really love it! Other people enjoy listening to books! I recommend the podcast: Marathon Training Academy. I love listening to it and it's so encouraging whether you want to run a marathon or not!
  • Set goals! I love to participate in 5k races and just better my self. Sometimes, I'm trying to have a better pace, or increase distance or conquer a big hill. Whatever the case, it's fun to change it up. I find races to be very fun with the camaraderie and exhilaration! 
  • Be prepared. Good running shoes are absolutely essential. Along with this, you will want comfortable running clothes, headphones that stay put and an armband if you plan on listening to something, good running socks, gloves and headbands if needed. If you're dressed appropriately, it will make running that much more enjoyable!
  • Don't neglect recovery! Take care of yourself. Running is a very repetitive movement and runners often get tight hips. I enjoy doing different runner's yoga routines I find on Youtube. Foam rolling can also be very beneficial for recovery. 
5ks are great for runners of all levels!

Most importantly, HAVE FUN and don't forget to be safe and smart! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List