Things You Might Not Know about Food!

Are there mysteries lurking in the grocery store or maybe even your cabinets? What is cacao and what mystery ingredient poses a threat to my canine friend?

Here are a few of my recent discoveries!


  • Cacao versus Cocoa
Cacao beans are dried, fermented and roasted at a low temperature which separates the fat whereas cocoa is roasted at a high temperature. Cocoa is considered "sweeter" and better for baking whereas cacao has more antioxidants and cacao nibs are high in fiber. 

Pro tip: Cacao Nibs do not melt! I ordered them in the heat of the summer and was happy to discover that they don't melt so I didn't need to pay extra for shipping. This may be a negative if you are trying to make a cacao coating in which case, you may need to turn to a different product. 

  • Xylitol 
Xylitol is a sweetener derived from some plants. It has 40% less calories than sugar and is found in many products from chewing gum to peanut butter. Certain studies indicate that it may have health benefits and it doesn't spike blood sugar or insulin. However, it can be fatal to dogs! They process it differently and it can lead to hypoglycemia and/or liver failure in dogs so be cautious when feeding things to your furry friends!

  • Why are my coconut based spreads hard?
Melting point is the temperature at which a substance melts or liquefies. Saturated fats tend to have a higher melting point than unsaturated fats. Coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees Fahrenheit, meaning that under 76 degrees, it will solidify. I have found that some of my spreads containing coconut or coconut oil become solid in my home but never fear. You can either put the container in some warm water or a time saving hack I use is to remove the lid and put it in the microwave on defrost setting until my spread is spreadable or my oil is liquid. (Warning: make sure the container is microwave safe.)

  • Ghee versus Butter
Ghee is clarified butter meaning butter is melted, the water evaporates and the milk solids are separated out leaving only the fat - ghee. This means ghee is technically dairy free because the milk solids are removed. It has a higher smoke point than butter which can be useful for certain cooking methods. It also happens to be pretty dang delicious. I am not a scientist or dietitian but there are some that suggest ghee has potential health benefits. What I do know is that sauteing vegetables in ghee makes them irresistible!

  • There's sugar in my what?
Most processed or packaged foods contain sugar, even foods that you may not expect. A big culprit of hidden sugar is foods that are low-fat or fat-free versions. They often have sugars added to improve taste and/or texture. I don't view sugar as an enemy and I consume my fair share, but it certainly is surprising to find sugar in the ingredients list in everything from bacon to fat free cream cheese to popcorn. If you personally want to watch your sugar consumption, you may not even be aware where it is coming from. Also, full fat cream cheese tastes better in my opinion lol! 

Have you have any discoveries lately? Let me know! I love to learn new things. I still don't know what Maca is. Or matcha for that matter!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List