Bread is Not the Enemy!

Do you have an enemy? 

Is it's name....bread??? Perhaps it's...gluten???

On social media, I follow several "healthspo" accounts - food bloggers that post healthy meals, recipes, etc. and it is a rare sighting to see them post bread. It's an even more rare sighting to see them post bread that contains gluten, to the point that some will specifically mention that they are eating gluten. 

So bread is bad then, right?

If you find that grains/gluten do not sit well with your digestion or you have an allergy or intolerance, I am by no means going to suggest that you do something that will cause you physical discomfort or even harm. I'm allergic to amoxicillin. Therefore, I don't take amoxicillin. However, have you maybe convinced yourself that bread is bad for you with no real basis for this?

"Barely Bread" Cinnamon Raisin slice

Grains actually have many minerals and nutrients such as fiber and B-vitamins. In my opinion, they can be part of a healthy and balanced diet. 

Breads that are not good:
  • the lowest calorie "diet bread" - I'm looking at you mister 40 calories per slice. This bread just isn't good, in my opinion. If you're gonna eat bread, do it right lol!
  • Barely Bread - yes, I had to call it out by name. So many Instagrammers post this company and make it look and sound so good! I recently tried both the cinnamon raisin loaf and the bagel. They. are. not. good. If you're not familiar with this brand, they are paleo and grain free. If your real dietary restrictions (i.e. not self imposed) mean you can't consume grains, perhaps they would suffice. I don't have those restrictions. I'm from New York. That was not a bagel. 
Dave's Killer Bread topped with cream cheese,
cinnamon, perfect bar pieces, sweet potato and granola!
So I say to you, if your body can process bread fine, eat bread and live! My personal favorite is Dave's Killer bread. It's hearty and delicious and makes a fineeee avocado toast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List