Mental Health Day: The Tipping Point

Do you ever feel anxious?

Do you have anxiety?

Do you find it hard to cope with?

Chances are, most of us answered yes to the first question and that's totally normal. However, some people experience anxiety all the time. It can be hard to cope with and hard for others to understand.

My personal experience with anxiety is like the bucket at the waterpark. Do you know the one? Water is streaming into it from multiple sources and kids stand under it waiting for it to tip and dump water everywhere.

I am the bucket and the water is anxiety pouring in from multiple sources. Eventually, I reach a tipping point. Those closest to me feel the effects the most. 

The hardest part to explain is that just one tiny drop can be the drop that puts me over the edge. What others don't see is all the "water" that's been filling up and up so that I was just one drop away from a breakdown. Since they don't see that, it seems unjustifiable and unreasonable. I know that this is not healthy so I have decided to think logically. How can I keep myself from reaching this tipping point? Here's what I came up with:


  • Find an outlet 
If I have an outlet for the stress, it won't build up to the point of tipping. In the past, I have used journaling, music, and painting but have given them up. I think it would be good for me to reintroduce one of these methods or even talking to a close friend. 
  • Reduce sources of stress
If there are fewer sources of water going into the bucket, it wouldn't be so quick to tip. So if I can find ways to reduce stress and anxiety sources, I would be less quick to have a mental breakdown. So I will be mindful of negative self-talk, negative talk from others (remove toxic relationships from your life), and try not to sweat the small stuff. If a job is causing undue stress, could you look into a new job? If you're taking on too much, could you simplify? Reduce the sources of stress that you can and then you have less to deal with!

Anxiety is a part of life for everyone. That's undeniable. However, it IS possible to cope with it in a healthy way. I hope that something in this was helpful for you if you are struggling.

What tips do you have for coping with anxiety?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List