Holy (Protein) Cannoli

If you haven't already figured it out, I have a major sweet tooth! One dessert I love to get from real NY pizzerias is a cannoli! I just love them!

The other day, I bought some fat free ricotta cheese to make a calzone, and had a ton of ricotta left over. Obviously, my mind immediately went to cannolis! How could I make them "healthy"? 

I ended up simply mixing the ricotta with protein powder and sweetener for the filling and made a crisped crepe type shell. I'm not 100% pleased with the shell because it didn't have that crunch and crumble that a real cannoli shell has. Perhaps I will do some more experimenting in the kitchen. However, since it was still pretty darn delicious, I'll share my recipe with you!



Ingredients: 

Shell: 
  • Approximately 3 tbsp Kodiak cakes mix 
  • 3 tbsp (equal parts) water 
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup fat free ricotta cheese 
  • 10 grams protein powder (about 1/3 scoop) 
  • 1/2 tbsp chocolate chips
Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Set it to broil. 
2. Mix the shell ingredients and cook in a pan as one large crepe. 
3.  Using a cannoli tube (or create a cylinder using aluminum foil like I did) wrap the crepe around the tube. I used a toothpick to secure it on the aluminum foil tube. 
4. Spray the crepe with cooking spray and broil for about 5 minutes, until it is golden and retains its shape. 
5. Let the shell cool. 
6. In a bowl, combine the ricotta and protein powder. Beat with a hand mixer. 
7. When thoroughly combined, spoon it into a piping bag with tip and chill in the fridge. 
8. When both the filling and the shell are cool, pipe the filling in both sides of the shell. 
9. Adorn with chocolate chips and nunaturals Cocoa syrup for an authentic feel! 
10. Devour and be amazed. 

Macros: 174 calories 2.6f/19.4c/18.7p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Your Mother's Cookie Dough - Gluten Free, Sugar Free, Bean Free!

Product Review: Tru Fru

Must Read List